Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Bill Evans Snapped


Bill Evans Snapped
Originally uploaded by kardinalsin.

What a weekend! Here's a picture of one of the highlights, a trip to the Jazz Bakery for a gallery showing by a friend of a friend, Scott Laumann. Having been published in various periodicals, including Rolling Stone and GQ, his latest project are a series of vast oil portraits of famous Jazz musicians. It was impressive to see them in person and even more impressive was the appropriate mood each painting captured. I was in awe.

Jazz is something that although I'm not as into it as I used to be, it still holds a special place in my heart. The passion, the creativity, and the sheer madness of brass, winds, and rhythm splayed out in musical freedom captured my heart when I first picked up the saxophone and it never stopped until I got out of college. Unfortunate that there has been no opportunity for me to grow as a musician at all, I'm reminded of a time when I would listen to Jazz while studying, while writing papers, and while throwing down graphite to paper.

Charlie Parker, Thelonius Monk, John Coltrane, and Dave Brubeck were all favorites of mine and it will always be something I love and maybe something I'll rediscover soon.

Eyes closed, horn wailing, that's how it was, how it is, and how it should always be. Straight, no chaser...

No comments: