Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Ilha Formosa

We've returned from the Far East and the island of Taiwan to very little fanfare and to a lot of jetlag.  The 15-hour time difference kills you in a new way every day.  For me, this has been falling asleep while catching up on television and coughing up a new color every other morning.  Lovely times.

What did we do?  We saw night markets, day markets, temples, the north parallel, aboriginal Taiwanese, live chickens, mochi donuts, frogs legs, fresh noodles, the second tallest building in the world, smog, packs of wild scooter commuters, shrimping, relatives, a gilded tour bus, millipedes, a spa nestled in the middle of a natural reserve, hot springs, stray dogs, stray cats, stray babies, weight gains, growing pains, and the smallest, densest toy store in the city of Taipei.

I love traveling for all the new perspectives it brings, the people we meet, and the food.  We ate way too much for me to even think about food for a couple weeks, but it was just enough for me to enjoy it as well.  I can't possibly recap how much we did and my impressions of everything without taking a few days to do so, but in the event that I'm inspired, I may just recant and comment on a few of the pictures we snapped while there. 

At any rate, a big thank you has to be said to Grace's family for their generosity and kindness towards me for making me feel welcome to their home and to their country.  Without their warmth I think it would have been a different experience. 

So until the next trip, I remain humbled and ready for more. 

1 comment:

Amy said...

Fresh noodles and live chickens! You were definitely getting the authentic experience. :)