Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Coldplay in the Hood


Coldplay @ the Forum, originally uploaded by kardinalsin.

It hasn't gotten old. 4 different shows (one at the VZW Amphitheater, one at the Bowl, one at Staples, and one at the Forum) and it hasn't gotten old yet. I would venture to say that it's gotten better every single time, but Coldplay are just a fantastic band to see live. It could be the sweeping scale of the music or it could be the affable demeanor of frontman Chris Martin, but most likely it's just because I enjoy their music. If that makes me more pop, then indie street cred be damned.

A rundown of the setlist:
Life in Technicolor
Violet Hill
Clocks
In My Place
Viva La Vida
42
Yes
The Scientist
Chinese Sleep Chant
God Put a Smile on Your Face
Square One
Speed of Sound
Trouble
Lost
Strawberry Swing
Yellow
Death Will Never Conquer
Fix You
Lovers in Japan
Reign of Love

Encore:
Death and All His Friends

That's quite a set actually. It gives me some opportunity to comment on their new album also. The reviews are in and their mixed, but so far I have to say it's one of their most accomplished works. Sure, Viva la Vida is very reminiscent of their trademark sound and Violet Hill doesn't work for me at all, but the rest of it really stretches their artistic limits. Some of it isn't so successful (see: Violet Hill), but where they stretch, they stretch well (see: 42). I like to refer to a few of their songs by obvious influences and touches in the presentation, but hearing them live really doesn't do nicknames any justice. 42 might be their Radiohead-ish vein, but it's a sweet little piece of music. Lovers in Japan could be considered their U2 track, but the execution is decidedly Coldplay. At first listen, I wasn't in love with it, but I can now safely say, after a few listens, that it stands up to be a gem. All this, of course, is backed by their sweeping performance in front of thousands at the Great Western Forum.

See them again? I would, in a heartbeat.

No comments: