Monday, May 16, 2005

Fried, Crushed, and Burned


Berry Good
Originally uploaded by kardinalsin.

It was a banner weekend in Southern California topped off with a heaping helping of home-grown Strawberries at the namesake festival in the city of Oxnard. If you've never been, it's imperative that you check it out, if nothing than to sample the sweetness that are fresh and in season strawberries.

Like most festivals, there was fried foods galore, beer by the yard, and festival rides aplenty. I didn't sample any of the rides for fear that I'd spew on the lawn, but I did manage to try some of the brewed strawberry beer that was for sale. A little sweet in taste, it wasn't too bad, but not as good as the strawberry smoothies that were for sale.

What did I miss that I wish I'd tried? Either the strawberry pizza (a kind of strawberry cream cheese dessert) or the chocoloate-covered ones that are so popular. We spent plenty of time walking around checking out what was available, drooling over the festival food (garlic fries anyone?), and trying to stay out of the burning sun that there's not enough time to really savor everything the festival had to offer. What I can say though, however non sequitorial it may seem, is that I can still monkey around with a trombone. Much fun.

No comments: