Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Freakalude

Every once in a while, I come across something that gives me a little boot of inspiration.  Trust me, it doesn't happen often as my lazy little butt hardly gets anything done.  While I dabble in the occasional noodling with the col-erase and keyboard, it happens to be a bit easier once I pop in a jewel-cased compact disc.  Forget, for a second, that most people are buying all sorts of tunes online in bits and packets, there's still that satisfying crinkle of plastic as you break open a freshly bought album. 

Well, I made the trek to Best Buy (poor Tower) and grabbed a couple of discs I've been meaning to procure (reviews to come later) and have been dropping them intermittently with all the other goodness that usually goes on.  While I've been pretty satisfied so far with the money spent, one of these artists deserves a premature special mention for what's currently bumping through the headphones.

The Basement Jaxx, those British gentlemen, have long been a strong contributor to all those dance musicks that you probably have heard but never had the idea of who they are. I give them a nod, not because Crazy Itch Radio happens to be their latest, but also because each record is just a little more insane than the last. 

You've got your trippingly popular tracks such as " Where's Your Head At" amongst others, they never disappoint be when they shred the ones and twos with some particularly palatable and schizophrenic beats.  While the previously mentioned single stands out on Rooty as an pop standard, the handily plural beats of "Crazy Girl" happen to be more infectious.  The same defiant unwillingness to retread the same old trip-hop/hip-hop beats stand out on this latest one in both " Hey U" and "Smoke Bubbles" that you might actually think to yourself, "What would possess any professional artist to sample these sounds?" 

Honestly, it's something I find fascinating and inspirational enough to attempt to apply in whatever you might do on your own.  Why should I still want to write the same old stories and draw the same old superheroes when breaking out with something never seen before is so much more satisfying.

For this, I submit that you should give it a listen.  If anything else, you'll have a reason to shake a fist in my direction for the bad suggestion if you don't enjoy it.

No comments: