Monday, December 11, 2006

Play Misty for Me

Do you think it's crazy to go all-out and buy a brand new musical instrument?

I've had this thing lately, for trying to find a new alto saxophone to replace my aging Martin model.  Part of the reason why it's so difficult for me to pick up the horns again isn't just time, but the frustration with now knowing, or at least feeling, like the horns that I grew up playing in high school and college weren't the right ones for me.  The Martin in particular is a great horn, but it feels like it really needs an overhaul.  Springs are slow, the horn stays cold quite often, and the octave spring never retains its tension.  Forget for a second that I haven't played in a really long time, somehow I still know what it feels like when playing the right horn.

The second half of the coin is the super action 80 Selmer Soprano saxophone that resides with my alto in their little home.  From the moment I picked it up, I fell in love with the horn.  The problem that exists for me here may be something else entirely, however.  For instance, there is one mouthpiece that I have used to play on this saxophone that blew the other ones out of the water, but they don't manufacture it anymore.  I'd much rather find the mouthpiece I want than the horn that I want in this case, mostly because the Selmer is a beaut, but also because the horns that are out there now are more expensive in the Soprano model than one might expect and much harder to find.

Perhaps the toughest part about buying a horn (besides money) is the playing experience.  There are a few things you shouldn't take for face value when purchasing, it might look the best out of everything, but it doesn't matter much if it doesn't connect with your playing style.  Unfortunately, many different models aren't supplied to major retailers of musical instruments, so it can be hard to find names other than Selmer and Yamaha when looking for a new horn.

So while I sit and ogle the P. Mauriat vintage style models, the Cannonball Raven finishes, and the Selmer prestige, I can noodle on the old horns for a bit longer.  At least I'd get my chops back.

No comments: