Monday, August 13, 2007

R.I.P. Mike Wieringo


Prince of Saturn, originally uploaded by kardinalsin.

I had something else prepared for today, but I do have to make a slight adjustment as one of the greats in contemporary comics has passed on. Mike Wieringo, while not one of the flashiest artists in the industry, was one of the best. Most recognized for his work for DC Comics' The Flash, his work on Marvel's Sensational Spider-Man and Fantastic Four held a special place in my heart. What warmed me to his work was the preparation, the structure, and the attention to detail he paid towards the characters he worked on. He was a consummate professional and his subtle style, while characterized as "ballooney" by some, was magnificent in its confidence whenever I opened a page.

Having been an avid reader of his blog for the past couple of years, I was entranced by his dedication to his craft and his fans. He could be found posting comments on other artists' blogs as well, never condescending and always positive and encouraging. I was impressed by his passion for the art form, for his enthusiasm surrounding his creator-owned material, Tellos, for his dedication to improvement, for his promotion of comics that anyone could read, and for the fact that he was an animal lover. One could tell through his posts that he was tireless in his work ethic in both research and production, taking the time to notice the reality that surrounded him and putting truth into every line he put on the page.

The past few years that I've been at SDCC, I've regretted not being able to meet or see him in person. Knowing that I'll never have this opportunity makes me incredibly sad for he is someone I've admired from afar as most fans often do. My solace is that his work lives on and in that, Mr. Wieringo will never truly pass.

Rest in Peace.

No comments: