Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Westside Varietals


2020 Wines, originally uploaded by kardinalsin.

The overwhelming blogatude from last week has left me with a dearth of posts for this week. I return briefly to talk up the most expansive wine store that I've ever experienced, Twenty Twenty Wine Merchants.

Lined from top to bottom with the finest vintages, both contemporary and classic, this establishment has a most impressive collection of wines that I've ever witnessed. If I'd never dropped a couple of names on the poor wine salesman at BevMo, I probably would have never found it, or seen it before. If you're ever on the west side, I would highly recommend finding it, you're in for a treat. The wines are extraordinary and the staff is very knowledgeable, but what you won't find, are aisles of other types of alcohol. This place is known for wines and they like to keep it that way. Even so, there was still a number of tequilas and scotches to make my eyes wander from our goal.

In all reality, I'm not much of a wine connoisseur. I tend to like a Cabernet, tending toward the richer side of the spectrum as opposed to the light side. I don't have a nose for wines, nor do I have an eye, but I like tasting and I like hearing about them, but ultimately, I like finding ones that taste incredible. Thank goodness I have plenty of people that are more into wine than myself, so I have endless resources at my disposal.

Most astonishing is the depth of their catalog. Surprising as it was, it was not unusual to find wines dated as far back as the 1940's. Most assuredly, their have to be even older wines in their cellars, as the storefront also doubles as a storage facility for the most avid collectors. Impressive as it was, I feel our trip was too short, but no doubt it warrants a return whenever our personal collection runs short.

No comments: