Monday, May 24, 2004

Week 2 of Summer Movie Mayhem continues with a group screening of Shrek 2. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Mike Myers and the whole cast has returned for another helping of green-skinned computer generated comedy. And I'm sure they got paid much bank for making the return trek to the voice recording booth and a good 2-3 weeks of work. How painful that must have been!

Back to the movie, I'd say it was just as much fun as the first one. Most impressive was the obvious leap forward in technology. Textures, hair, and backgrounds were much more detailed, and therefore, more believable. Content-wise, the story was pretty much what I expected. Shrek meets Fiona's parents, they have it out, and all gets resolved in the end. I did manage to catch a few touches that made it more interesting, but still not terribly complex. That's the beauty, I imagine, since Shrek is marketed for everyone. Parents, children, and probably even the family pet.

Given this, I still believe that DreamWorks has a long way to go before it will ever match the quality and creativity of Pixar. Although I enjoyed the movie, it troubled me that their next movie Shark Tale looks like Finding Nemo Lite. Final score: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: