Monday, June 06, 2005

Champloo Kazoo

It's no secret that I like anime. The art, the action, the unique-ness grabbed me initially, but it's the quality ones that make me stay. There's so many out there nowadays, it's hard to find the diamonds amongst fields of coal. Where do I find it? Word of mouth naturally.

Samurai Champloo happens to be one of these shows that I heard of, but had no way of watching until it found its way onto Adult Swim. Well, truthfully it wasn't the first time I'd seen it. Because the internet is a wonderful thing, I watched the first few episodes in their native Japanese and fell in love. The show is a historical wandering samurai story with a few twists. First off, it's a party of three rather than the lone wolf samurai. Secondly, there is a strong influence of hip hop running through the show, from it's theme song to even an episode all about tagging. The characters are great, the storylines on each episode appear well thought-out and the premise is unique. What makes it even more great is that it's directed by the same mind that brought the great Cowboy Bebop to the screen.

If you get a chance, check it out for the complex characterizations, the slanted humor, the art direction, the historical nature, and just the plain madness of a hip-hop samurai roadshow.

No comments: