Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Con Fused


Convention Logo
Originally uploaded by kardinalsin.

Over the weekend, a friend and I decided to travel aalll the way down to San Diego and check out what has to be one of the biggest genre conventions during the year, Comic Con. If any of you know me, I'm a big time comic collector, but surprisingly it wasn't the search for rare comics that brought me to the convention, but the search for none other than Kubricks, Qees, and other assorted vinyl toys that had a presence at the convention.

While we managed to see a few notable booths in the vinyl section, including Medicom, Toy Tokyo, Toy2R at the Tower Records booth, and even Los Angeles' own Giant Robot and Munky King we were depressed to find out that Kid Robot had abandonded Sunday's program after three straight days of crazy new exclusives specifically manufactured for the show. There were many toys bought, so maybe I'll post some examples at a later date detailing my most recent haul.

One thing I learned about being at the convention was that Sunday, while still being crowded, has to be the slowest day artist wise. Most of the notable artists I wanted to obtain sketches from were burnt out from doing commissions all weekend and from sketching like mad for three days straight. I did manage to talk to a few of them and even grab a couple of their convention sketch books, but wasn't able to get as many pages filled in my sketch pad as I would have liked. I learned what new projects they'd be working on, and also learned that the majority of them are really nice people. Makes me hopeful for acceptance if I ever get my butt off the ground and into gear with art.

The show was pretty neat, being able to see a lot of movie props and new video games as well. There were some pretty crazy costumes and people with way too much time on their hands, but it was appropriate for a place like Comic Con. I definitely will attempt to go back next year, hoist my nerd banner high, and attempt to brave the wilds of dorkhood.

1 comment:

Amy said...

woohoo dorkhood! :) damn burlap sacks...