Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Katastrophic

It's awful to read the news and watch the television this week.  News of the hurricane's increased fatality-inducing winds as it traveled from Florida to Louisiana to Mississippi is almost too much to bear for me.  I've read in an article that some people consider it "their tsunami" and I can understand why.  Even though the number of lives lost can't begin to compare with those lost in South Asia, the devastation to community and the value of missing innocents can't be discounted.  What's heartening, however, is how prepared Louisiana was to face the storm and how efficiently people were evacuated before the winds hit.  My question early on was, "Where's the president?" but my answer came today as he's cutting short his vacation to face the homeland tragedies head-on.
 
I implore those out there with enough heart to keep the families of those lost in the storm in your thoughts and prayers (if so inclined).  If there's anything else you want to do, please find some outlet for donation.  I'll be looking to find such a charity myself in the next few days...

No comments: