Sunday, November 20, 2005

Disappointment Abounds and the Esprit De Corps

As soon as I start singing praises, the teams go and let me down. I'm not going to make excuses about two key injuries or many others that I could make, but both the basketball and football teams lost games I was certain they could win.

What a disappointment.

I would pout about the basketball team, but they started the season similarly last year, losing some games to teams they should have dragged all over the court. I would complain that the football team is much better than a 3-point effort, but there have been offensive inconsistencies all season. There's still a lot left to look forward to for both teams. Next year, football-wise and an entire season, basketball-wise.

Sigh.

***

Hockey!

The Kings are actually a first place team this year. Last week, thanks to Ms. Lau, we were able to see a game versus her dear, dear Vancouver Canucks. Thanks to some new rules, some young legs, and a close score, the game was a blast. It wouldn't have been that great had they lost though.

I guess this brings about a good point. Why are we so passionate about sports in the first place? Why do I get upset when my favorite team loses? Why do we hate other teams if there's an existing rivalry? When do we start getting so passionate that there's the use of the royal "we" when discussing a game, a team, a championship? Where does this come from?

There's something to be said for school spirit, home-team pride, and unfettered devotion, but what's everyone elses reason for being so dedicated? If anyone has a good opinion. Let me know!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Woo! Hockey update. :) I have no explanation for the insanity of a sports fan... all I know is that I love my Canucks. :)

Mark said...

That's good enough reason for me. Passion needs no reasons!