Wednesday, February 08, 2006

But I Digress...

Got to take in some Coldplay and Fiona Apple last night at the most Orange County of arena venues, the Arrowhead Pond, last night.  Coldplay dominates my blog in some ways, so I won't expense with the usual pleasantries (although they were tremendous).  They did mention it would be their last performance in Cali-Caliente for a few years, so I guess it's a good thing we caught the concert.  Fiona was compelling as well, but something tells me she's been hitting a few more packs a day than she should.  Either that or she's on the same whiskey bottle as Janis Joplin.

No way am I going to expunge on the usual concert-driven mania I've been blathering on and on about for the last couple of weeks, so I'll try something a bit different and go with a time-honored tradition since the days of the "Trash Heap" (that's an old, old school shout out for anyone who read the ancient beginnings of this blog of mine).  The theme for today is creativity and of course, what better time to discuss creativity than the greeting-card holiday that is Valentine's.

I personally don't mind the holiday-lite material we are confronted with on Valentine's, what I do mind are the incessant implications that a man must buy and do certain things on this least sacred of holidays.  Although I tend to get wrapped up in the gift-giving and the like myself, I think there's more to it than just doling out flowers and Hallmark envelopes.  Such is romance though, isn't it?  Subjectivity is the name of the game.

That's where we get into the subject of art, something many consider to be the epitome of creativity.  Some would say art only exists in museums, concert halls, theaters, etc. but there are others that demand even the lowest of lowbrow creative outlets get some form of artistic respect.  Where does one draw the line?  We come again to subjectivity.  Is this blog creative enough to be considered art?  Not to my knowledge, but from time to time I'd like to think the random story insertion to break up the monotony of the everyday post is a personal elevation.  That's probably self-indulgent, but in any case, it's what it is to whoever thinks it so.

Perhaps this brings about a point of sorts.  Not that every post needs a point, but where some people like to blather on about how fresh their kicks are, how stupid dope their dance moves are, or the fabulousness of their personality, I hope that each post here injects some sense of difference not just to my life, but maybe to anyone else reading it. 

There's that self-indulgence rearing it's head again. 

As it may be, romance is what you make of it.  Creativity in itself is what you make of it.  Art is what you make of it.  This blog is what I make of it and lately I'm finding it to be much more useful of late.

Watch this space.  This is a notice that creativity and productivity will see an increase in the months to come...

2 comments:

Amy said...

ooh, that sounds exciting. :) and relating the vday hype to the creativity theme, i always prefer a creative present on vday, it's just more interesting that way.

Mark said...

Being creative is the best way to go. It's much better than that last-minute stuffed animal, and entirely more interesting than a card and flowers bought at the Supermarket when you've forgotten everything else.

Then again, that could be romantic. It's the thought that counts, right?