Monday, February 13, 2006

Snow-cap Recap

The Mammoth expedition went entirely as planned.  Got in a full day of the slopes on Friday, another day on Saturday, and also spent some time in Bishop on Sunday.  Two full days is a lot for myself, but coming out less pained than the past couple years is a good sign. 

We took in the Greens all day Friday on the main side and then I was able to move on to some more difficult runs on the Canyon side.  Blues are very manageable, but I really need to learn to get off a couple more turns on the Blue-blacks than my requisite one turn.  I almost felt like I was just starting off when coming down the more difficult runs, but did manage to hold my own and not fall all over the place.  I actually fell more just trying to get to a lift than when being on a run.  For that, I have to thank for the pain in my left hip.  Thank you...

There were some items of note for the weekend.  First off, Arbor makes some awesome snowboards.  I switched out my loaner with a friend's and it made such a difference, my board felt like cement shoes by the time I'd switched back.  I also learned that having a shell is indeed a good idea.  The weather being in the 50s for most of the weekend and sunny as heck made coming down the mountain almost unbearable with a few layers on underneath my heavier jacket.  It's also very notable that there are no really good restaurants in Mammoth, but there is good pizza at Giovanni's. 

Our stop in Bishop is notable if only for our stop at the local eatery, Erick Shat's Bakkery.  Oh, and there was the stop at Value Sports as well (with their incredible deals, it was hard to resist not buying anything).  The bakery is a genuine diamond out in the middle of nowhere with some tasty freshly made sandwiches and even more amazing fresh baked bread.  Awful crowded, I enjoyed a fine hot pastrami sandwich and even sampled their chili-cheese bread.  Whenever we go back up this season, we're making it a point to stop in Bishop again.

A good weekend.  Improvements were made, much food was eaten, and most of all, lots of fun was had.  My legs are tired, I got way too much sleep, and Mammoth is as much fun as it was the first time around.  If there's another big snowfall within the next month and a half, we're going to have to make it out there again. 

3 comments:

Amy said...

Mmm... eating, sleeping and boarding. Sounds perfectly lovely. :)

bill said...

Oh yeah .. that bakery in Bishop is amazing!!!

Mark said...

One more time this year guys. We can enjoy the fresh-baked bread together at least!