Monday, July 24, 2006

Comic-Con 2006 (part 2)


Toys Toys Toys
Originally uploaded by kardinalsin.
There is of course, the other half of the convention that I look forward to, which happens to be the immensely-growing urban vinyl contingent. This time around I met Frank Kozik who was in a very good mood, having just had a favorable meet with the folks of Secret Base. His new Labbits are awesome and he also happens to be one of the nicest guys in the business. Although I didn't score a retro metallic Goon by Touma, I managed to snag the newly minted and exclusive 8-inch Dunny designed by clothing designer and graff artists extraordinaire Deph. Being the only figure I bought amongst a gaggle of sketchbooks, it was a great find. Although, I did somewhat think I pulled the trigger on buying the toy too early, unwrapping the little guy made it the more worth it.

So, in essence, the things I learned this year were to avoid the crowds by making it there early, spend more time casing the joint to see the artists I want to, and probably take some more time checking out the toy vendors more carefully. I do want to thank Grace for taking the time to go with me, as it really isn't her scene. I like to think that she had a good time seeing me go bananas over certain things, even if it does make me an enormous geek. SDCC is over, but it will be back again next year most likely bigger and better than this already historic 2006 edition.

More pictures here. Not as many as last year but enough to make me happy.

No comments: