Thursday, July 27, 2006

Swing, Swing (part 2)


Chew on This
Originally uploaded by kardinalsin.
Here we have Don taking the first bite of the the giant turkey leg. It wasn't quite as tender as the Disneyland version, but the smokey flavor brought out the intensity of the dark meat. As for the corn, one can never go wrong as long as the seasonings are right.

Afterwards, we headed down to the main event. Now, don't get me wrong, but I've been to a few pop concerts before, especially since Grace loves it, so I was expecting the usual screaming teenagers and proliferation of parents thereabouts. I'm familiar with a few of their songs too, so I was there with open ears. Trust me, it isn't the most bubblegum thing I've ever seen, but truthfully, I was impressed with their showmanship and passionate performance. Although there were times where the lead singer really pandered to the audience, they were sincere and very appreciative of their success. The onstage persona the Rejects pulled off was energetic and fun, pretty much everything you would want from one of the most popular radio acts in America. Of course they muscled their way through "Swing, Swing" and "Dirty Little Secret" the former being their first massive hit, both of these whipping the crowd up into an enormous mess of glee.

Admittedly, it was an enjoyable show. Although I saw the lead guitarist whip out 3 more guitars than possibly necessary and despite the overwhelmingly youthful atmosphere of the show (including some shrewd musical chairs employed by the group next to us) it was enjoyable. I think they do deserve their popularity, considering how generic a lot of popular rock acts are these days, they have a very unique flavor of music palatable for all ages. Closing the show with "Move Along" really did go a long way to make our experience memorable.

No comments: