Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Orange County Fare


Deep-fried Oreos
Originally uploaded by kardinalsin.
Growing up, I never made it out to the Orange County Fair as often as one might think. For one, I'm not a big fan of the spin 'til you throw up carnival rides and for another, it's never really been a top priority since not many of my friends had the absolute desire to go. While many a teenage victim has fallen to being an employee of the fair during the summer, it is definitely more fun to actually attend than work. Besides the obvious fact that you will be labeled a "carny" by anyone walking by, you also get to see some agricultural phenomena not known to many suburbanites. But that's probably saved for another post.

What's always my goal during any sort of festival, is to try at least one new artery-clogging item from the food booths. There's the expected hamburgers and hot dogs, but there's also some more um... innovative fare such as deep-fried avocado and strawberry julius. This time around, I managed to snag the most cringe-inducing sweetness in the form of the Deep-Fried Oreo cookie. Slathered in a Funnel Cake type batter, fried in the healthiest of healthy oils, covered in chocolate or strawberry sauce, and then sprinkled, they really aren't the prettiest things to look at. Tasting it is another matter.

Don, Grace, and I bravely tried these puppies with myself consuming the lion's share. The only way I can describe it is, "Sweet, crispy, and very unhealthy." You definitely can taste the Orea, but the batter is unexpectedly sweet and soft. It's almost as if it were a cookie-filled doughnut. As I proclaimed on Sunday, this is probably the one and only time I will order this item, not because it was terrible, but because it has to have raised my cholesterol by at least 100 points. I swore I could feel my arteries tighten.

Next up: the infamous strawberry julius and onion rings the size of my head.

No comments: