Monday, January 22, 2007

Wii-licious

Yes, oh yes.  We've secured the latest and greatest in the Nintendo line-up, the much sought-after and legendary Nintendo Wii.  At one time referred to as the Revolution, the Wii is the biggest risk and, so far, the greatest recent success in their line of home consoles.  When the set-top box itself was revealed, I personally wasn't too intrigued, at least until they revealed their control scheme...

Traditionally, consoles come with a single controller to use with both hands.  Building on the innovation of the DS, Nintendo decided to branch out to those undiscovered demographics and included a one-handed remote control that could be paired with numerous accessories.  The most useful of which is the nunchuk control stick.  The unique part of this one-handed remote scheme is its motion-sensing technology.  With the remote, you can aim, slash, and drive your way through games without any previous experience.  I thought this was a great way to reach out to the uninitiated, and I was never more right than when I saw the mad dash to pick up the console.

We were lucky enough to pick one up this last weekend and so far, it's been a blast.  The bundle we secured came with two games and the console itself.  As I've familiarized myself with Twilight Princess, I've fallen in love with the Zelda franchise again, but the surprising game so far has been Wii Sports .  While I'm not very good at the baseball portion of the game, bowling, boxing, golf, and tennis are all sorts of fun.  You'd think we were crazy, swinging that remote around all over the place.  You'd think so, at least until you've played it.

So until I get tired of it, bored of it, or ready for some innovations, the Wii is an initial success.  We'll come back in six months when we've had a little more time to break this sucker in.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I heart my Wii!!