Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Designer Fun

Recently, I've come across what's becoming somewhat of a subculture trend: collecting designer toys. Those who know me, know that I've been obsessed with Kubricks for a while now, but lately, I've started to keep my eye on these guys as well. I'm not sure what it is about them that I find so appealing, but if you look closely, you can tell there's an insane amount of design that goes into each one to get just the right look for each of them.

Piggybacking this notion, I recently became aware (via BoingBoing) of a new set of collector's items at Neo Kaiju. The most recognizable name out of these designer is Gary Baseman, who some might recognize from the Disney toon Teacher's Pet. I've only recently become acquainted with the work of Tim Biskup too, but these little Neo Kaiju dudes look interesting. Not sure if I'd pick any up, but the idea that artists are into this kind of thing is neat.

Which reminds me, that I'm now planning on taking an Intro to Toy Design class at Otis this coming quarter. Sound like fun?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Do you have a non-comment policy on your site? I don't see any comments... well, I'm breaking it if you do. :) My vote is yes... then please design me a v. cool custom iPod holder. Yeah? Nice. :)

Mark said...

There's no 'no comment' policy, just not enough comment-worthy posts I guess.

And I'm registered for the class, yay!