Wednesday, January 12, 2005

SJ at SU and iPoddery

Mr. Steve Jobs has been selected by an esteemed institution to deliver their 2005 commencement address. Seeing that this news has presented itself, and that the advent of Macworld is upon us, it's a good time do discuss something many of my friends are familiar with: the iPod.

I'm probably one of the few people who haven't shelled out the $300 for an iPod just yet. Truthfully, I never thought I'd need that much space for all my music, but I've seen the advantages of buying one. There are disadvantages too, but I won't get into them because the stellar design and culture of the iPod itself is enough to negate those. Since they've also just released the iPod Shuffle, buying an apple product is becoming more enticing, but for now, I'll resist.

Reason is, I was a bona fide Sony-holic. Which is unfortunate now, because I've come to realize I'm not very happy with the Sony products I've purchased lately. Well, I'm not happy with my Mp3 player at least. The playback is great, but with time, the battery has gone faulty, the software is awful, and the fact that you have to convert every Mp3 file to Atrac3 is horrid. Also, I'm more interested in picking up a Zen Micro or their latest version, the Micro Photo. It's very comparable to the iPod Mini but comes with a few extra features the Mini lacks. Those Apple purists out there right now might holler, but don't fret, I like the Apple philosophy, I just probably won't give in just yet.

What it comes down to I guess, is the vehement loyalty many Apple customers have. It's pretty neat, but almost off-putting at the same time. I mean, do I really want to become the one of many people in love with their iPods? Do I want to sell my soul for the little white devil that lives in many people's backpacks, purses, and shoulder bags?

Answer, maybe someday, but not today. I won't surrender to the trend of loving your iPod, but I will to the trend of loving your music. Podcasts, iSkins, and the like, the iPod is a thing of general beauty for the hipster to behold, but I'll remain on the fringe. Hoo-rah...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Fringe schminge, stop the resistance, you know you'll end up giving in someday. Get yourself cool Sony headphones if you need to add a touch of Sony-ness. I am an iPod lover, and I don't care if that means that I'm being trendy or that my soul is gone to the little white devil. Because it's now a hot pink devil, so cute and irresistable. :)

Mark said...

I want Shure headphones, no more Sony! We tried them at CES, and they have to be worth every penny. Talk about 'Do Not Disturb.'

Tell your hot pink little devil I said. "Hello..."