Sunday, January 02, 2005

Two Thousand FIVE

Happy New Year to everyone! Hope it was fun, and most importantly, I hope it was safe for everyone.

Not every new year is the same, but the last couple of years have been similar. Last year, it was all about spending the weekend in the blizzard-wrapped mountains of Mammoth. This year, we decided to spend our New Year attempting to board the massive acreage of Whistler.

Myself, I consider to be but a mere beginning snowboarder, and this trip was well worth having been snowboarding a few times already. I know for sure that I needed the extra practice before tackling what was definitely more blue than green (at least for me). It's pretty amazing at the top, but I'm definitely not cut out for high places. I've been to the Empire State Building no problem, and although I've experienced a bit of vertigo being at The Grand Canyon and also the topmost peak of Mammoth, I've never quite had the freak-out I did at Whistler. It's almost acrophobic in nature, but I really have never had it happen before. It makes me a bit nervous, but for sure, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Despite this, it was a great weekend. I got to spend some time in one of Canada's greatest cities, Vancouver, and I can truly say that it is a nice place to visit. Even with the lack of decent snow all-around, I can also say that I was able to experience one of the world's greatest ski resorts. We had good food, I got to meet some nice, new people, and most of all, I had a fun, fun, fun New Year's weekend. Thanks to all those who made it happen, and let's hope the year's just as fun.

No comments: