Monday, December 05, 2005

Ski Dazzled

I'm going to run through the weekend backwards today starting with yesterday, Sunday.  Quite an eventful weekend if you ask me, and Sunday was quite typical as Grace and I left the apartment about 10 AM and didn't return until well after 10 PM.  Long day, fun day, and exhausting. 

Skipping over my lovely trip home, a lovely dinner at the Lazy Dog, and the lovely Christmas tree that we picked up from my parents' house, I'll begin with our previous trip to the Los Angeles Convention Center for the annual Ski/Snow event that is Ski Dazzle.  Occurring about the second week of December and running for an entire week, Ski Dazzle is the biggest convention for Skiers and Snowboarders in Southern California.  Booths with vendors, resorts, instruction, and other helpful information line the aisles and wherever you go, you are surrounded by people who are knowledgeable, helpful, and often very passionate about what they're selling.  Grace and I had a couple of missions to accomplish while we were out: stock up on equipment.  Like I said, lovely.
 
Personally, I was looking to buy some boots for our upcoming trip to Park City, but it's hard not to walk around the convention floor and not be enthralled by the deals you find on boards, clothes, and resort packages. I found myself checking out a lot of boards from last year and a lot from this year with serious consideration.  Too bad I could have gotten a better deal over the weekend, I felt almost rotten had I bought one and paid more than I should have.

What was important however, is that I scored a pair of boots that I'm very, very happy with.  Which I guess brings me to my point.  I'm hoping that even though there is very little rain/snow so far this season we'll be able to make it up to the slopes more than three times.  I've seen people buy their gear, spend hundreds of dollars to get prepared, and only go up once.  Once!  I have to admit, I don't think I've been up enough times to warrant the money I've spent so far on this sport that I'm not even that good at, but it's all in the interest of getting better, right?  How does one expect to get better if you don't go more often?  Maybe it's the curse of convenience.  Do any of us have the time to travel up there every weekend or every other weekend?  I wish...

There's much more coming from the weekend, but for now I can't wait until New Year's weekend in Park City and I can't wait to see how much more snow's going to fall on us in California.

No comments: