Monday, October 02, 2006

Football Depression

Usually, I tend to keep very silent about sports, since most of the time there's been a rash of bad luck every time I leave my impressions for a season, a tournament, or even a single game.  Right now, I feel that no more harm can be done as has already been inflicted upon the sad-sack Stanford Cardinal football team.  Trust me when I say this is the worst team they've put on the field and trust me that it's almost an embarrassment to watch them play.  This last game had to have been the bottom of the barrel (well, besides an already lopsided loss to San Jose State).  Watching them get thrashed 31-0 at the hands of the UCLA Bruins wasn't unexpected, but managing to see them lose without scoring a touchdown is very, very sad.

Myself, I was quite fortunate that while I was attending school, the team was quite competitive.  Having been to the Rose Bowl during Tyrone Willingham's stint as coach gives me a good reason to be upset, since I'd say I'm used to a certain level of competition.  Crippled as they've been by poor recruiting, poor coaching, and many key injuries, there is a plethora of excuses, but excuses just don't satisfy.  Especially since simply being the worst team in the Pac-10 apparently isn't enough as they may just be the worst team in college football at the moment.

So what is one to do when there is sure to be a giant goose egg in the win column by the end of the year?  Do you shore up and proclaim "next season" every time someone asks you about the team?  Do you feign ignorance and say, "I'm not into college football?"  Do you proclaim the ultimate denial of having ever attended the school itself?  I could try all this, but that's not what being a fan is all about.  Mostly, I throw my hands up in confusion, try and support them however I can, and remain optimistic about the future of a dismal season.

Either that, or just wait for the basketball season to start...

3 comments:

Amy said...

I'm a little worried that I'm going to sympathize with you a bit too much as my Canucks aren't looking all that hot for this season so far!

bill said...

It's alright, Mark.

Just remember ... Feb 24th at the Galen Center.

Mark said...

Goose egg, guys. Just imagine a big, fat goose egg.

Actually, thanks for the encouragement. I have a feeling either that or copious apathy will make me feel better. Then again, what kind of fan would I be if I didn't care?