Thursday, September 06, 2007

Honeymoon from Heaven


Relaxation, originally uploaded by kardinalsin.

After the run-and-gun style of wedding we favored, our honeymoon trip to Hawaii was the best vacation we could have asked for. Long-anticipated, it was relaxing and exciting, but what I didn't expect is that it would be educational too.

Since it was a first-time visit for the both of us, G and I did the usual business and packed in many activities sandwiched between some bouts of nothing. We were primed for the latter, especially after spending 6 hours on an early and sleepless flight filled with screaming children.

Day 1: G and I take a short tour and lunch at our hotel and then take the shuttle to Lahaina for dinner at Cheeseburgers in Paradise. The meal is tasty and is washed down by their vicious version of the Planter's Punch.

Day 2: We hit the beach at Ka'anapali (after a lunch plate breakfast from McDonald's) for a few good hours and take turns hitting the bluest Pacific Ocean I've ever seen. The crystal clear water doesn't keep me from getting a slight sunburn. We hit Black Rock for a snorkeling intro and I drag an exhausted G to shore. There's more to see in Lahaina, like the giant Banyan tree and a cheap dinner at Kahuna Kabob's. I crash at around 10:00 dreaming about pineapple fried rice.

Day 3: Our morning snorkeling tour of Molokini is filled with a brief history of the crater, many people losing their breakfast and lunch, and a large number of tropical fish. We stagger back on land and fill ourselves to the brim with food before returning home. After a short stint of opulence and awe at the Grand Wailea, we experience dinner at Mama's Fish House. My Mahi Mahi is bursting with two crustaceans and topped with a giant prawn and asparagus. Grace's Ono is... well - ono.

Day 4: Another early wake up call sends us on the road to Haleakala and an off-road ATV adventure. We learn more about the extinct volcano and the surrounding townships at 5000 feet. My first trip out, I get stuck in a ditch, G is almost crushed by her bike, and our arms get worn out from the lack of power steering. I fall in love with the scenery there and the amazing foliage of the island on our way to the Tedeschi Winery. We eat lunch across the way at an old general store where I sample some elk before sampling the tropical wines of Ulupalakua. We finish the day out on a hammock and a mixed plate dinner.

Day 5: Standing in a rainy line at the Gazebo restaurant, we see our first Hawaiian rainbow. We spend the morning at the Napili Beach passed out on an omelet and banana, macadamia nut, and pineapple pancakes. It's peaceful enough to wander around the corner to a cove filled with sea turtles. It's the perfect morning before we spend an evening at the Old Lahaina Luau, learning about the Hawaiian traditions and cultural experience. The food is amazing enough to devour in less than 10 minutes. I limp home engorged on things roasted, grilled, mashed, pounded, and shredded, happy.

Day 6: We pack it up and head home on another sleepless flight.

I love Maui.

1 comment:

Green Jellybean said...

me too me too!!!! MEEE TOOOOOOO!!!