Friday, June 20, 2003

Ah, almost a whole week without a post, I thought I'd make this a worthy one. I'd like to discuss Radiohead. This is of particular interest to me since I recently picked up their latest effort, "Hail To The Thief." I'll say this much, it's more accessible than "Kid A," but if the casual Radiohead listener is expecting "Creep," they'll be sorely disappointed. This album is challenging, not just in its structure, but in its lyrical content as well. Piecing together the entire spectrum of songs, I felt a seething frustration being vented by Mr. Thom York and co. unleashed upon the world. One second the music will be crashing merrily away with recklesness, the next it's dredging up a net full of repressed emotions. I think it's better to experience the record a few times before actually making a judgement.

Along with this album, I finally managed to acquire a copy of "OK Computer" as well. These two albums couldn't be more different. The subject matter of alienation runs rampant, but missing from this record is their tendency to mix unsettling rythms and noises together for an overall mood. Mr. York's dedication to lyrical complexity, however, remains consistent, and I found myself analyzing the liner notes for its inner complexities. Definitely the most listenable album of theirs to anyone, I'd argue it's one of the best I've heard in a while. I don't claim to be a longtime Radiohead fan, but I'll admit openly to liking them now, even if I get lambasted for "jumping on the bandwagon." Check either of these albums out if you want a different taste of what rock has to offer.

No comments: