Friday, June 06, 2003

You ever notice when you go to the gym, everyone becomes your close friend? I've come to notice that. I'll be working out at a machine, or on the treadmill or something, and a guy will come up and say, "Hey buddy, almost done?" or, "Any more sets to do, pal?" Must be some sort of communal thing I don't quite understand. Maybe it's because I didn't do any scholastically organized athletics. Something about slapping each other on the butt has got to make people closer in some way, and I'm sure it makes the atmosphere much friendlier. A gym teacher of mine once accused us of goofing off and playing "grabass." It might have something to do with that. My bet is it has something to do with protein-shakes and performance-enhancing drugs a lot of these guys seem to be drinking/taking/ingesting. Makes your mind a little more placated. I'm assuming that's much better than the steroid-induced rage some people have been known to succumb to.

Actually, I bet it's just people trying to be friendly and courteous. Kinda like when people call me "sir" or "Mr. Navarrete." When that happens though, I just end up feeling old.

No comments: