Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Golden Globes Scorecard

Let's see how I did this year, shall we? Predictions are here.

MOTION PICTURES

Picture, Drama:
My Prediction - "Brokeback Mountain"
Winner - "Brokeback Mountain."
I was right, the HFPA. does love gay cowboys.

Actress, Drama:
My Prediction - Gwyneth Paltrow, "Proof" or Ziyi Zhang, "Memoirs of a Geisha."
Winner - Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica"
My bad. The best of the DHs pulls it off.

Actor, Drama:
My Prediction - Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain"
Winner - Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote"
Should have known that playing tortured, eccentric biographical characters trumps any other performance. Save, perhaps, the role of a disabled character.

Picture, Musical or Comedy:
My Prediction - "Walk the Line."
Winner - "Walk the Line"
Like I said, Cash wins all.

Actress, Musical or Comedy:
My Prediction - Keira Knightley, "Pride & Prejudice"
Winner - Reese Witherspoon, "Walk the Line"
Fellow Stanford student gets the nod in one of the toughest categories.

Actor, Musical or Comedy:
My Prediction - Cillian Murphy, "Breakfast on Pluto" or Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line."
Winner - Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk the Line"
Repeat verse, same as the first.

Supporting Actress:
My Prediction - Scarlett Johansson, "Match Point" or Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"
Winner - Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener"
Perhaps I'm cheating by giving two Predictions before, but it appears that the thinking man's actress wins out in this case.

Supporting Actor:
My Prediction - George Clooney, "Syriana"
Winner - George Clooney, "Syriana"
Who would have thought that Dr. Ross would make it as an actor and director?

Director:
My Prediction - Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain" or Fernando Meirelles, "The Constant Gardener"
Winner - Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain"
Loved his acceptance speech for the sincerity.

Screenplay:
My Prediction - Paul Haggis and Bobby Moresco, "Crash"
Winner - Screenplay: Larry McMurtry, Diana Ossana; "Brokeback Mountain"
I should have stuck with my previous assumption about any category where "Brokeback" is nominated.

Foreign Language:
My Prediction - "Kung Fu Hustle," China.
Winner - "Paradise Now," Palastine
Intriguing, it's definitely going in the queue when available.

Original Score:
My Prediction - John Williams, "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Winner - John Williams, "Memoirs of a Geisha"
Who knew?!

Original Song:
My Prediction - "There's Nothing Like a Show on Broadway" from "The Producers"
Winner - "A Love That Will Never Grow Old," from "Brokeback Mountain"
Haven't heard it, but I've heard good things about it.

TELEVISION

Drama Series:
My Prediction - "Lost," ABC.
Winner - "Lost," ABC
Two awards so far this awards season. The Emmy race this year will be tight.

Actress, Drama:
My Prediction - Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer"
Winner - Geena Davis, "Commander in Chief"
Never would have guessed it, in a million years. Props to her and boy, is she tall or what?

Actor, Drama:
My Prediction - Hugh Laurie, "House"
Winner - Hugh Laurie, "House"
Not bad for an Englishman.

Series, Musical or Comedy:
My Prediction - "Curb Your Enthusiasm," HBO
Winner - "Desperate Housewives," ABC
In my opinion, this show is starting to look very overrated. Give someone else a chance!

Actress, Musical or Comedy:
My Prediction - Mary-Louise Parker, "Weeds"
Winner - Mary-Louise Parker, "Weeds"
She didn't look very happy to hear Chris Rock's presentation, but I loved every second of it.

Actor, Musical or Comedy:
My Prediction - Zach Braff, "Scrubs."
Winner - Steve Carell, "The Office"
If anyone had to win this award, I'm glad it was him. He doesn't parrot Ricky Gervais or even channel him, he makes this character his own.

Miniseries or movie:
My Prediction - "Warm Springs," HBO
Winner - "Empire Falls," HBO
Wish I knew what this one was about, the cast looked good.

Actress, Miniseries or Movie:
My Prediction - Nobody
Winner - S. Epatha Merkerson, "Lackawanna Blues"
That's what I get for giving a cop-out of a guess.

Actor, Miniseries or Movie:
My Prediction - Kenneth Branagh, "Warm Springs"
Winner - Jonathan Rhys Meyers, "Elvis"
Of the two historical characters up for grabs, Elvis's swiveling hips take down FDR.

Supporting Actress, Miniseries or Movie:
My Prediction - Sandra Oh, "Grey's Anatomy"
Winner - Sandra Oh, "Grey's Anatomy"
Still trying to figure out what happened with her and Alexander Payne. What a shame.

Supporting Actor, Miniseries or Movie:
My Prediction - Naveen Andrews, "Lost"
Winner - Paul Newman, "Empire Falls"
Newman over the newcomer, what a surprise!

Final tally: 11/24 for a 46% score. Not bad, but I still fail.

Up next: the Academy Awards, 2006.

2 comments:

Amy said...

i loved ang lee's o-so-asian "nothing is good enough" speech. :) wentworth was hot.

Mark said...

Ang was very humble and I was humbled by his acceptance. I very much liked Emma Thompson's dedication to Jane Austen myself.

Wentworth looked a little lost, still impressive that he managed to get a nom in his first season.