Friday, May 12, 2006

The Flying Coaster

When I was much, much younger - probably in elementary school - I used to be horribly terrified of roller coasters.  It wasn't so much the atmosphere of being strapped in as much as it was the hatred of feeling my stomach rise up into my chest whenever coming down that first waterfall drop.  It didn't matter where I was, Knott's Berry Farm or Disneyland, I was scared to death to ride anything potentially thrilling. 

That was years and years ago.  My first experience on a thrill ride (or attraction, as Disney likes to call them) was everybody's favorite ride at Disneyland, Space Mountain.  Relatively tame compared to some of the bigger coasters out there, the Mountain itself is one of the fastest and most atmospheric rides that the Disney has to offer.  Save the fact that Disney World has the new Expedition Everest, this ride is the benchmark for the classic Disney thrill ride.  Needless to say, when you want true thrills, you do not go to Disneyland.

My first experience of a modern roller coaster was on the classic and frightening Viper at Six Flags Magic Mountain.  At the time, this ride had the second longest drop in the park, second only to the monstrous ride, Goliath.  Having never been on a ride with a steep drop, loops, and corkscrews, I was incredibly nervous. 

My immediate reaction afterwards: Must. Ride. Again.

Since then, I've been a huge fan of true thrill rides.  I'm not talking about strictly the ride itself, but the physics behind it, the design of the entire experience, and the excitement you get when waiting in line for a new coaster.  Pretty soon, there will be a new addition to Magic Mountain's already stellar group of coasters, one billed as a true flying coaster, Tatsu.  Having been on a flying coaster at Paramount's Great America, I can honestly say the experience is unparalleled.  Their one flying coaster, Stealth, unfortunately has been moved for dubious reasons, but it was one of the best coaster experiences I've had aside from X.  They've been hyping it all week on the news and in the papers, and it might be warranted.  All I can say right now is that there has to be a trip to Magic Mountain in the future.  More than likely there will be a 5-hour wait, but also more than likely it will be worth it. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah the lines on that are going to be insane! bring a vid cam and record it while ur on it!

Amy said...

no more trips to magic mountain for me, thanks. :)

Mark said...

We'll have to plan another trip this year, they got kiddie rides for you, Amy!