Thursday, May 25, 2006

My Name is Scott Pilgrim

If you haven't read Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life, or heard me blab about it at some time or another, you are required right now to either ask me about it, or read it online for free.  This bad boy of an original graphic novel series is brought to you by comic artist Bryan Lee O'Malley who has painstakingly crafted one of the most original and funniest comics that I have read to date.  Simply, Scott Pilgrim is comics crack for anyone who hasn't picked up a series in their lives.  The first hit is free...

The plot is simple, Scott meets a new girl and must defeat her seven evil ex-boyfriends in order to become her official boyfriend.  It's more complicated than that, of course, but why get into Vegan nirvana, High School Kung Fu, and a super mystical delivery girl?  They're wild concepts and executed with the perfect sense of whimsy. 

Yes, I said whimsy.

So, I've said it before to many people, and I'll say it again here:  Read Scott Pilgrim.  You'll thank me for it.

Did I mention it's inspiring to see a smaller publishing house have such incredible critical success?  Oni Press, a small Portland publisher, is responsible for bringing this to many stores across the country.  It's incredible in the sense that most people won't look outside of tights and capes and gives me hope that there is a future in independent comics. Truly amazing.

No comments: