Monday, May 01, 2006

No-chella

This past weekend marks the first weekend in two years that I have not gone to the Coachella arts and music festival.  While the past few years have been marked by awesome performances by bands I love, this year saw the first time that I was more ambivalent about going.  Even so, I'm crushed that I missed what was perhaps the biggest and most crowded music-fest that Southern California will see this year.  Over 60,000 people packed the Coachella Polo field near Indio this year and boasting not only two of the biggest rock acts in Depeche Mode and Tool as headliners, but also two of the biggest pop acts in Madonna and Kanye West, it was destined to be bigger than ever before.  I missed two bands that I really want to see in concert this year in the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Franz Ferdinand, two of the breakout bands of the year in Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and Ladytron and really, it just depresses me.

I guess, in some way, I'll make up for it.  It's been fun for the last couple of years, too bad it wasn't inspiring enough to rally the troops.  Next year...

2 comments:

Amy said...

madonna rocks! :) would've been fun.

Mark said...

Reading the LA Times Blog about Coachella and all their other coverage is enough to make me resolute about going next year. Argh.