Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Still Art

No one I know, at least most of the people I've talked to, who has lived in Orange County has been to The Pageant of the Masters.  Apparently, a "tourist favorite since 1932", this spectacle of living art is a seeming anomaly to all of us locals.  That is, I guess, until we've actually seen it.

My first experience with the POM last year was surprising.  Not expecting much else besides made-up actors and models portraying the Mona Lisa and such, I was amazed by the stunning likeness to both works of painted art, sculptures, and even hood ornaments.  Along with an emotive narrative script and a full orchestra, the Pageant is an unlikely combination of entertainment and art education.  Last year's theme was Americana, but this year's was a definite improvement focusing on art created and inspired by passion.

Opening up with a couple of stunning Fragonard portrayals, one knows what to expect: romance.  All works of art ranged from humorous to dour in the full two hours we saw, but the most stunning, for myself, was the portrayal of some Japanese block prints.  Second to that was most likely the exposition of vintage posters and the Rodin towards the end of the show.  The script was much more engaging this time around and the music itself was a bit more memorable, including more vocals and quite a bit more movement than anticipated.  

I do recommend that anyone who hasn't seen the Pageant should see it while you have time.  Although tickets are sold out for this year's shows, they will be available months in advance for next year's.  I don't recommend it for the scenery, although Laguna Beach is unique, I recommend it for the celebration of the arts that it is. 

No comments: