Friday, August 18, 2006

Yelp!

In the never-ending glut of self-indulgence, I've found another outlet.  Throngs of people are still flocking to that vacuum on the Internet, Myspace.com, but the social networking drama associated with that site is just too much for me to even want to attempt to assault.  I've decided that on another level, Yelp.com is a much friendlier and unique place. 

Actually, it's the concept itself that sold me.  Yelp is an arena for peers to review local spots within their cities with the same gusto they do on a blog.  The interface is very easy to use and the seamless integration with Google Maps makes it very, very useful. 

My favorite part, thus far, has been posting reviews for my favorite restaurants where we've had the pleasure of dining.  So far, there's only two thrown up on my yelp site, but I've only been a member for just as many days.  A cursory view of those people marked as "elite" yelpers shows there is quite a long way to go.  As the site was created within the last year, people have had plenty of time to rack up hundreds of reviews.  Some of the reviews happen to be only a couple of lines long or several lines long with no paragraphs, but there are also some that are very informative, hilarious, and, most importantly, accurate.

So, if you will.  Yelp along with me.  We'll see if anyone accepts the invitation.

1 comment:

bill said...

One of us! One of us!

Actually we got Jenny on Yelp as well, so we're making some headway on spreading the good word.