Wednesday, August 14, 2002

As most Wednesdays start, this one is no different. Time for a Free Will Horoscope:

VIRGO (Aug. 23-Sept. 22):
Many smart, educated people think astrology is bunk perpetrated by quacks. For any stargazer with an ego, this threatens to be depressing. We want to be loved and appreciated like everyone else. On the other hand, I've found that being in a field that gets so little respect has for the most part been liberating. It has been impossible for me to get all puffed up with overbearing pride; I've had to learn to practice astrology primarily for the joy it brings me, not as a means of seeking recognition. In a backhanded way, then, a seemingly demoralizing curse has become an invigorating boon. I predict that you, Virgo, will soon harvest an analogous mutation.

I wonder what it means. Maybe I'll have some sort of epiphany regarding my chosen career. Or maybe one regarding a career I should choose instead even if I'm somehow afraid of scrutiniy. At any rate, this is the second of somewhat positive Free Will Horoscopes in two weeks. "Things are looking up."

In other news, it has been reported that Microsoft Internet Explorer leaves your credit card vulnerable to attack. Once again, another argument for downloading Mozilla.

If any of you watch that show on MTV, '"Cribs," then I'm sure you're very familiar with the concept of a television system installed everywhere in a car. Particularly in large Escalades with 22" rims. This study shows that such a practice is not only stupid, but also unsafe for a TV screen to be installed in the steering wheel of your "ride." I always wondered how people were supposed to drive while watching movies in their cars. My guess is they don't. They just crash.

We wonder how well our government systems work for us, well we have a partial answer. The Florida Child Welfare system has been put to shame by a local newspaper as 9 missing children were found easily and quickly. Read about it here. Looks like anyone can find another person on the internet if they look hard enough. Now I just have to make sure no one's stalking me...

Lastly, we have this news that people have an inherent instinct to know when they're being cheated. No surprise to me, I've known I've been cheating myself out of sleep for years now, will I do anything about it? What do you think?


No comments: