Tuesday, September 17, 2002

Late update today as I'm a tad busy at work. Believe it you must. I'll apologize ahead of time to the good people of Fantagraphics for the liberal 'using' of their images. It is quite necessary since I couldn't find any other suitable artwork to show you all how crazy Dan Clowes really is. I'd describe his artwork as 'funky.' In a timeless sort of way, his everyday imagery is slightly skewed in such a way to leave the viewer with an unsettled feeling. Perhaps it is his realistic depictions of people in surreal settings that is disturbing, but I believe it's the subject matter that is most bizarre. Perhaps some of you have seen Ghost World, which happens to have been based on a graphic novel of the same name by Mr. Clowes. Not only is it one of the more unique films to be released within the last few years, but it also was nominated for an Oscar in the category for Best Adapted Screenplay. This story is an example of one of his least unusual projects, but also one of his most accessible. I recommend it, and if you want, perhaps you can borrow it as well. Check out some of his artwork, and maybe you'll understand what I mean.







No comments: