Wednesday, March 02, 2005

LAX Insight

While they have some interesting questions for the mayoral candidates of Los Angeles, the citizens of LA who like to blog are asked about the local airport by LA Blogs. Traveling seems like it was a long time ago, but it was only really a couple of months past. Maybe I'll amend my answers in a month after our trip to Houston.

Anything you like about LAX?
Incredibly close to my apartment, but not so close as the planes crack glass on liftoff, it's the most convenient airport for me.

Anything you hate about LAX?
Traffic at peak hours is awful and the security checkpoints are horribly inefficient. Going there two hours in advance of departure is a must. I don't know how many people run up with only a half hour to departure and cry that they're going to miss a flight. Too bad, grow a brain.

Parking at LAX, any tips/secrets?
Park at the meters if you can. My big parking secret is to take the shortcut to terminal 5 and 7 as often as I can to avoid making the circus trip around the airport. Big whoop. There's also the Parking Spot. Free water on your return trip... yay...

Given the choice, do you fly out of LAX or one of the other Southland airports?
Since convenience can't be beat, I haven't flown out of anywhere else besides LAX in seemingly forever. Long Beach is cheaper, since they carry Jet Blue, but has limited selection with their airlines. Other than that, Orange County cannot be beat for comfort of waiting areas, lack of congestion surrounding the airport, ease of parking, and lack of crowds.

Food finds, are there any, and have you ever tried or wanted to try Encounter?
Eat at the airport? I'll take McDonald's anytime I'm there. Airport food is rank.

If LAX was a region of Los Angeles, what would it be?
What kind of question is this? LAX is just like most of Los Angeles. Some parts are nice, some parts need to be renovated and it's best to watch yourself when traveling through the seedy area.

Did you know that you can't mail anything from LAX? I didn't, until I tried to drop some bills off on the way to a two week vacation in Costa Rica.
There is a 24 hour post office just down the street from LAX, so why bother going to LAX when you know where the 24 hour post office is? Send out mail on time.

LAX Expansion, have you been following it, do you care?
I'm following the expansion to see what happens to the surrounding streets and especially to see what happens with Southern California travel. I don't know where all the money is being spent though, so I'd like to read up on it more.

No comments: