Sunday, March 06, 2005

Pound Puppy


Pound Puppy
Originally uploaded by kardinalsin.
Taken at the Westminster Mall pet store, this little guy was born not even a couple of weeks ago, and now finds himself waiting for a puppy-loving family to pick him up. Whenever I can, I like to take a look at pet stores to see the dogs in the hopes that one day I'll have a house or a pet-friendly apartment. It's especially sad whenever I see a little guy like this.

A while back, I would also take the time to check out Pet Finder to see what dogs are up for adoption. I've had aspirations of one day owning either a beagle, a border collie, or another purebred, and it's heartbreaking to see these dogs, or any dog for that matter, unwanted. Some people have reasons for not being able to care for their pets, but in that case, they should have never gotten one in the first place. Other circumstances, health problems and disobedience are more unfortunate, any unwanted pet is sad in their way.

To my dismay, I've learned that most of the dogs in pet stores are from puppy mills. These little dog factories are some of the most inhumane ways to raise dogs these days, and knowing this, it makes it hard to condone pet store practices. Especially at a smaller store like this one. If anyone is to buy a pet, I'd highly recommend going through a well-reputed breeder if you can, through someone you know with a puppy litter, or adopting a pet in need. Although a little more expensive, you can be assured the dog will be healthier, happier, and more welcome to your home if they come from a breeder. Also, if you can't trust your friends to take care of their puppies, than who can you trust?

Going back to adopting pets though, it's something most admirable, and I really appreciate those who are willing to do whatever it takes to rescue an animal. Those with the need for surgery and special medical needs are all the more special if they can find someone who can love and take care of them. Supporting any organization that takes care of rescued animals is also something to keep in mind. A couple of my favorites are Little Angels Pug Rescue and the Beagle Adoption Center of Southern California. Some day, whenever I have room and the ability to care for a dog, I'll look into either of these organizations, but for the time being all I can do is look.

No comments: