Thursday, April 21, 2005

Classroom Malaise


Firefly
Originally uploaded by kardinalsin.

Every day, during school, I'd be drifting off during class. Not really bored with the material (well sometimes) but mostly because, well, I like drawing. Notebooks from all of my classes, and even now at work, are full of drawings on the back pages and in the margins. Little cartoons, faces, people, animals, whatever, I drew them.

Mostly, it was people though.

Even during my toy design class, I tended to do little sketches, but this is while listening to the lectures. It's something I got accustomed to doing during middle school, drawing while attempting to listen. In the cases where the drawing gets a little detailed, it's obvious that my listening skills aren't that good.

This drawing in particular, didn't start out this way. Well, it did start out as a sketch in my notebook, but it ended up being something of an experiment. See, ever since I started drawing a lot more, I've tried to get used to using different media to get an idea across, or just to see what happens. After reading Paul Pope's graphic novel 100% and then reading his afterword prasing the art of ink and brush, I had to pick mine up again. Pope's words ring true, it has to be one of the best feelings in the world to lay down that fresh layer of ink on paper. There's a certain finality to the act that yields a slight amount of smug satisfaction to me, but not so smug because I know there's tons of practice yet to be done. Future-wise, I look forward to finishing up more drawings like this. Let's see how this turns out.

No comments: