Thursday, April 07, 2005

Pieces of Eight


Gumm
Originally uploaded by kardinalsin.

This is a more radical redesign. My instructor and most of the class felt my last design was a bit... I don't know... old? They were pretty much right. I think the supposed age of the original made it contrast a little too much with the other characters, so I aimed a little younger while keeping most of the original design elements. I guess you could say it was "all in the beard?"

This particular drawing, when pressed, I had to admit was my favorite. It's not the design itself, but the fact that the dagger in his mouth gives him tons of character. There's a few spots that I still take issue with, but it's successful for the most part. I guess my main problem is just thinking of it as a toy rather than a cartoon character. Here, I am thinking of creating a world of toys while maybe I should be thinking of creating a toy for the world, if that makes sense?

No comments: