Friday, October 18, 2002

Illness has prevented me from yesterday's update, so it's going to be posted today. No haikus today you lucky people, but you will still get your links. And the conclusion to my story.


Tattle-Tale
Part 3

A tin clicking noise began to emanate from within the walls surrounding us. Trying to remain calm, I strained to distinguish their particular location. Sadly, it’s hard to distinguish ubiquitous noise.

The Bloodhound turned to face me, a pointed look on his face. “Your tenure is up.”

“Wait, I’m sure there is some room to negotiate, right?”

“You gave up your rights when you violated your mandate, Transfer-Mediate.”

Clickings turned to metallic whirrings, as if thousands of gears creaked and groaned in laborious motion. Closer.

“But, I don’t even know what I could have done wrong.”

“Perhaps that is part of your mistake.” In my panic, I forgot that reasoning with Bloodhounds was pointless.

Wires began to descend from the ceiling, making their way ever closer to my seat.

“Remain still.” My nervousness couldn’t contain itself any longer as I started to squirm.

“Was it my association with neighbors?”

“Your attempts at discovery will not assist your survival.”

I felt strands of metal, like new locks of hair, covering me; pointed extensions, attempting to burrow their way under my skin.

“My loyalties have never strayed from Corporate Mandate.” I spat, attempting to garner favor.

“Your regrettable decision to purchase that deplorable book has already sealed your fate. I’m afraid there’s nothing I can do. Pathetic.”

Click-clack.

What was next was inevitable, thought-machines descended down their wiry paths. Making bee-lines towards me. Their purpose known only to the Bloodhound.

“I bought many books last week.” Confusingly slurring my words. “It could have been anything!”

“I’m sure you know what tome I’m speaking of.”

“Every book I’ve ever purchased has been on the Corporate Sponsorship list. It’s what gave me entrance!”

Tendrils of ceramic touched down upon my skin, surrounding my face and shoulders. Sinister blue eyes glaring upon me with mindless purpose. The placid smiles upon their faces were just the beginning of the terror they instilled.

“Sit still.”

I couldn’t muster words.

“It’s beginning.”

A tearing sound. Needles along my extremities. Spiking burns searing flesh. My tongue swells. A blinding whiteness followed by blackness.

I wake up on a table, next to myself, in a jar filled with a pale pink liquid, wondering how I got there, and how I will get out. I hear nothing but laughing in the background as my body rises up from the table and steers itself towards the door. I watch as I exit on to the roof of the building and throw myself 20 stories to the black cement. My last thoughts are remembering the book I bought out of turn.


No comments: